Parrocchia

Santi Pietro apostolo e Marco evangelista

Pieve a Nievole



Paintings


Over the centuries, the ancient church’s patrimony has gone missing, or possibly transferred, together with title, to St. Peter’s church at the castle of Montecatini, without a doubt in order to prevent the assets from being looted. The church does not have indeed any goods dating back later than the 17th century, except for the archaeological finds.

Giuseppe Nuvolone (attr.), Immaculate among Saints, mid of XVII sec.


This beautiful large canvas (oil on canvas, 300x200 cm) was given as a gift from the Minnetti family to the church when they moved in 1957, leaving their dwelling Villa of Vergaiolo. The canvas underwent a major restoration operation and was subsequently placed in its current location in 1994. It portrays Mary Immaculate crushing the devil under her feet, according to the prophecy of Genesis 3:15. At her sides are the figures of Saints Francis of Assisi and Anthony of Padua. By taking a closer look to the clothes they are wearing, we can deduce that the work was commissioned for a church served by Capuchin friars. The artist is uncertain; however, the canvas is clearly ascribable to some of the Lombard painters from the Nuvolone school in the mid-seventieth century. Some scholars tend to attribute it to Panfilo (as indicated in the general catalogue of the Superintendence); others to his son Carlo Francesco (Francesca Sini); latest studies to Giuseppe (Filippo M. Ferro).





Giovanni Maria Corsetti, Last Supper, 1707



The canvas was especially commissioned by the Corpus Domini’s Company to the Villa Basilica painter Giovanni M. Corsetti.
It was intended for the altar of the oratory, which was under construction between the end of the 17th and the early 18th century, just opposite St. Mark’s church that had been returned to being a parish church for a few years.
The painting represents the Last Supper and the 1999 restoration saved it from total destruction, allowing it to be enjoyed again.

It is currently located on the parish church’s counter-facade, on the opposite side to the baptismal font.

William Congdon, Ecce Agnus Dei n°1, 1961

Congdon (1912-1998) was an American painter who spent many years of his life in Italy, where he converted to the Catholic faith only when he was already in his forties.
Such an event is reflected in his artistic production which resulted in a rich output of sacred objects. His works are preserved in the major international museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Contemporary Art in San Francisco, (California), and the Collection of Modern Religious Art in the Vatican.
The painting (oil on table, 120x100 cm) depicts the time when John the Baptist points out to two of his own disciples the passing by Jesus Christ with the words: “Behold, the Lamb of God!” (John 1:29,36). Hence the title. Acquired by donation, the painting is being exhibited in the sacristy.




NB - All the references to Quaderni Pievarini and Atti Tavole Rotonde can be downloaded from www.sanpietroaneure.it, our historical studies centre website.